Post Office Directory North and East Ridings of Yorkshire: 1857

AUGHTON is a township, parish, and village, on the east side of the river Derwent, distant 8 miles north-west from Howden, and 3 north from Bubwith station on the Hull and Selby railway, in the East Riding, and union of Howden. The church of All Saints is an old stone building, chiefly in the Norman style of architecture; the tower contains 2 bells; in the interior are nave, aisles, chancel, and font; between the nave and the chancel is a fine Norman arch in good preservation. There is a brass, on which is elaborately cut the effigies of Richard Aske and lady; this brass bears date 1500. The living is a discharged vicarage, with the curacy of Cottingwith annexed, of the joint annual value of £100, in the gift of A. J. Fletcher, Esq. The Rev. Geo. M. Webb, B.A., is the vicar. There is a chapel for Wesleyans, erected in 1844. There is a school for boys and girls. The townships of East Cottingwith and Latham are in this parish. The population of the township, in 1851, was 225; the acreage is 1,790. The soil is loamy and clayey, and the subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats, barley and potatoes. A. J. Fletcher, Esq., is lord of the manor. There are some small charities.


Eland Thoms. esq

Stephenson William, esq. Ruddings

Webb Rev. George, B.A. Vicarage


Arnott Robert, schoolmaster

Blacker Robert, farmer

Brownbridge John, farmer

Cottam George, farmer

Collins James, farmer

Drewry George, carrier

Giles George, farmer

Howden Matthew, smith

Hudson William, farmer

Knapton Thomas, farmer

Lawson Mrs. farmer

Maltby Robert, farmer

Newham William, Cross Keys

Precious George, farmer

Stephenson Francis, farmer, Ruddings

Webster Simeon, farmer

Wilkinson Robert, tailor & parish clerk

Letters received through York

LATHAM, or LAYTHAM, is a village and township in the parish of Aughton, Howden union, Holme Beacon division, and East Riding, 8 miles north of of Howden. The population, in 1851, was 111; the acreage is 1,385. The soil is clayey and loamy, and the subsoil is clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley.

Nottingham J. N. esq


Brabbs, John, farmer

Fowier R. N. farmer

Lowther George, farmer

Rook Thomas, farmer

Thompson John, shopkeeper & carrier

Todd John, farm

Vause William, farmer

Wharram William, farmer

Letters received through Howden

EAST COTTINGWITH is a township, chapelry, and village, in the parish of Aughton, from which place it is 2½ miles north, 9 west from Pocklington (its nearest market town), 12 west from Market Weighton, 10 northwest from Howden, 12 south-east from York, Holme Beacon, division of Harthill wapentake, Pocklington union, York bishopric, East Riding, pleasantly seated on the east bank of the navigable river Derwent, across which is a ferry at this place. Here is a chapel of ease; it was rebuilt about the year 1780, and is a small plain brick building, with a small low tower containing 2 bells, surmounted with a spherical cupola. The interior was reseated about 1845; the font is new, and octagonal. The living is a perpetual curacy. There is a Friends' Meeting-house in the village, built about 1790, and in the burial-ground is a fine walnut tree; the Wesleyans have a small chapel in the village. The population, in 1851, was 318, and the acreage is 1,140. The Pocklington Canal communicates with the river Derwent near this place.

Atkinson Mrs. John

Bonnard Mr. Thomas

Martin Misses, Dryden cottage

Webster Mrs. A

Webster Mrs. Isabella, Hall Garth


Bell Richard, coal merchant

Blackburne Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper

Blackburn William, bricklayer

Brown Alexander, shoemaker

Buttle John, corn miller & farmer

Carlton William, tailor

Craven James, shoemaker

Day John, shopkeeper

Gill John, farmer

Harnell John, farmer

Harrison John, carpenter & wheelwright

Harrison William, carpenter & wheelwright

Hemingway John, carpenter

Hemingway Wm. carpenter & wheelwright

James Robert, farmer

Martin Godfrey, farmer

Martin Henry, schoolmaster

Middleton James, farmer

Nottingham Ellen( Miss) schoolmistress

Ogram Henry ,shopheeper & shoemaker

Overend William, shoemaker

Percy Robert, farmer

Pears James, farmer, & Ship Inn

Precious William, gardener & seedsman

Ratcliff William, farmer

Room John, farmer

Room Thomas, farner

Ryder Mary (Mrs.), farmer

Seymour Benjamin, farmer

Seymour George, farmer

Seymour James, butcher & farmer

Seymour William, farmer

Slights John, basket maker

Slights Snowdon, fisherman

Slights Thomas, blacksmith

Sumpton John, Blue Bell inn

Sumpton Jonathan, coal merchant

Tate Thomas, farmer

Vansburg John, painter &c

Wilson John, farmer

Wilson William, farmer, Red Cap farm

Letters received by foot post. There is not a post office here

CARRIERS TO YORK-John Seymour & John Sykes, every saturday