The copyright on this image is owned by martin dawes and is licensed for reuse under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 license.

Welcome to Aughton.info, a One-Place Study of the parish of Aughton in the Holme Beacon Division of Harthill Wapentake, in the East Riding of Yorkshire.
The site contains information on the history of the parish and its manors from the time of the Domesday to the present. It also contains extensive listings of the people who have lived here during that period. The focus is very much on the ordinary folk of the parish and their lives and their environment.

Please use the forum to comment on the site, add your memories of Aughton, discuss your Aughton family history, and see the latest 'what's new' posts.

If you would like to contribute to this site please visit the Aughton Wiki where you can upload data or photographs. The link can be found in the 'Home/Info' part of the menu on the left. After checking it will be added to the site.

The Parish of Aughton in 1857

Aughton. — The townships of Aughton, East Cottingwith, and Laytham, containing in the whole 4,295 acres, and 654 inhabitants, are comprised in this parish. The Township of Aughton has an area of 1,790 acres, and its population in 1851 was 225 souls. The rateable value is £1,445.; and the amount of assessed property in 1815 was £1,648. The parish lies on the left bank of the river Derwent, and presents a tolerably level surface. James Fletcher, Esq., is Lord of the Manor, and one of the principal landowners.

On the bank of the river Derwent, near the church, are the moat and trenches (surrounding a large mound seventy yards square) of the ancient castellated mansion of the family of Aske; one of whom, Robert Aske, was beheaded and hung in chains at York, in 1537, as a principal in the rebellion called the "Pilgrimage of Grace" occasioned by the suppression of the monasteries. The families of De la Haye and Aughtons also resided in this parish.

The Living is a Discharged Vicarage, to which is annexed the Chapelry of Cottingwith, valued in the King’s Books at £4.; augmented in 1723, with £200. of Queen Anne’s Bounty, and £10. per annum, given by the Earl of Castleton; and now returned at £95. nett per annum. Patron, J. Fletcher, Esq.; Incumbent, Rev. George M. Webb. The Church (All Saints) is situated on high ground, near the Derwent, and consists of a nave and north aisle, a chancel, a low embattled tower, and a porch. The tower contains two bells, and on its south front is a vacant niche, seven shields, and the following Latin inscription in old church text: — Christofer le second fils de Robert Ask, chr olier ne doy Ao Di 1636.* 

The chancel was rebuilt in 1839, and the remainder has suffered much from churchwardens’ “repairing and beautifying.” The interior was repewed in 1826. The nave and aisle are separated by pointed arches resting on circular columns, and the chancel arch is Norman, and very beautiful, having eight mouldings resting on three attached columns, ornamented with birds’ heads, chevrons, &c. With the exception of the arch in Kirkbum church, this is the finest specimen of ornamental carving, of the Anglo-Norman period, in the East Riding. On the chancel floor is a fine brass, bearing the effigies of Sir Rd. Aske, and Margaret his wife. The Knight is in plate armour of the 15th century. The font is circular, with interlaced arches.

The Vicarage House was rebuilt in 1839.

The Village is pleasantly situated, and is distant about 8 miles N.N.W. of Howden. The Manor House, or Hall, is an ancient brick building, near the east end of the churchyard, and now in the occupation of Mr. Thos. Eland. There is a small Wesleyan Chapel, built in 1824, and a National School.

East Cottingwith is a township and chapelry of 1,140 acres, and a population of 318 souls. Assessed property, £1,249.; rateable value, £1,190. The chief proprietors are the Messrs. Martin, John Clough, and John Blanchard, Esqrs., and Mr. Wm. Tate. The Village is neat, and stands on the east bank of the Derwent, across which is a ferry at this place, about 2½ miles N. of Aughton. The Chapel, rebuilt about 80 years ago, is a small plain brick edifice, with a small low tower, on which is a spherical cupola. The interior was re-seated about ten years ago. The font is new, and octagonal. The chapel yard has been just enlarged. There are two bells in the tower.

The Living is a Perpetual Curacy, annexed to the Vicarage of Aughton. The tithes were commuted at the enclosure, in 1773, for an allotment and a yearly modus. There is a Friends’ Meeting House in the village, built about 60 years ago, and in the burial ground is a fine walnut tree. There is also a small Wesleyan Chapel. A close called Hall Garth is probably the site of an ancient mansion. The poor have 18 acres of land, allotted at the enclosure, together with 20s. a year, left by Ellis Bradley and another. Part of the rent of the land is given towards the support of the school. The Pocklington Canal communicates with the Derwent near this place.

Laytham Township, — Area, 1,365 acres; population, 111 souls; assessed property, £1,417.; rateable value, £849. The chief proprietors are Mr. H. A. Allenby (Lord of the Manor), George Lloyd, Esq., and R. N. Nottingham, Esq. The Hamlet is small, and is situated about 2½ miles E. of Aughton. The Manor House is in the occupation of Mr. William Wharram. The Grange is the residence of Mr. Robert N. Fowler.

The Vicar of Aughton preaches, &c., once a fortnight, in a room of a house in the village, in which the Wesleyans also hold their religious meetings.

* Dr. S. Pegge attempts to explain this singular inscription, in the Gentleman’s Magazine for 1754, pt. ii., p. 407. He says that it is capable of two interpretations, the first being, “I, Christopher, the second son of Robert Ask, Knight, ought not to forget the year of our Lord, 1536.” From this it appears that Christopher, son of the above mentioned unfortunate Robert Aske, built or rebuilt this tower in remembrance of his father’s share in the rebellion of 1536; but whether by way of regret, or otherwise, cannot be decided. Pegge also supposes by a prosopopaeia the tower itself to speak these words, as is usual on such occasions, and then the sense would be, “I ought not to forget Christopher, the second son of Sir Robert Ask, Knight, Ao Di 1536.

Whellan's History of the East Riding, 1857