Parliament opened on 24 October 1597, and on 16 December granted three subsidies to be paid in three equal annual instalments. On the same day six fifteenths and tenths were voted.
Individuals (and corporations) paid 2s.8d. per pound for moveable goods worth £3 or more, and 4s. per pound for land worth 20s. or more. Aliens paid double these rates, and if they had no taxable assets, paid an 8d. per head poll tax for each subsidy.
Assessments were to be made by 1 October annually (1598-1600); certification was to be at the Exchequer by 1 November (1598-1600); and payment was due by 12 February (1599-1601). Books of the collectors' interim accounts and a list of commissioners for the levy of these subsidies survives in E 179/282.
This East Riding piece is evidently a collection of documents relating to the third of the three subsidies.
The last six rotulets relate to the wapentake of Harthill, and were delivered into the Exchequer on 29 October 1600. Rots 4-5 contain the certificate of assessment for the entire wapentake, dated at Market Weighton on 28 August 1600. Rot 9 (written on both sides) contain the assessment for Holme Beacon division, and is clean and is about 80% legible.
Lay Subsidy, 20 Aug x 2 Sep 1600
Bubwith cum Harlethropp
Bryghton cum Gunby
Folkerthorpp cum Latham
Gribthorpp cum Willitoft