Kelly's Directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire: 1913

ELLERTON, or Ellerton Priory, is a parish and township, on the east of the river Derwent, 3 miles north from Bubwith station on the Selby and Market Weighton branch of the North Eastern railway and 9 north-west from Howden, in the Howdenshire division of the Riding, HoIme Beacon division of Harthill wapentake, Holme Beacon petty sessional division, union and county court district of Howden, rural deanery of Weighton, archdeaconry of the East Riding and diocese of York. The church of St. Mary is a building of stone in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a belfry with small spire containing 2 bells: all the windows retain portions of stained glass from the ancient Priory: there are 220 sittings. The register dates from the year 1680. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £170, including 89 acres of glebe, in the gift of Joseph Dunnington-Jefferson esq. J P. of Thicket Priory, York, and held since 1912 by the Rev. Frederick Charnock Bamford Darwent, of St. Aidan's. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and almshouses for three poor people. Charities amounting to about £69 yearly are distributed amongst the poor of the parish, Here was anciently a Gilbertine Priory, founded before 1212, by W. Fitz-Pierre and J. Barden, and dedicated to SS. Mary and Lawrence; at the time of its dissolution there were nine canons and revenues amounting to £62; there are still some remains of interest. The principal landowners are the trustees of the late James Lund esq. of Malsis Hall (d. 1903), Capt. H. G. Bridges, Thomas Henry Newsome esq. of Longlands, Dewsbury, and Frank Green esq. of York. The soil is sand and clay; subsoil, sand. The chief crops are wheat, potatoes, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 2,551 acres of land, 1 of water and 5 of tidal water; rateable value, £2,672; the population in 1911 was 271.


Parish Clerk, George Deaton.


Post Office, Ellerton.—Miss Alice Cook, sub-postmistress. Letters through York, by foot post, arrive at 9.15 a.m. Box cleared 4.50 p.m. week days only. Bubwith, 3 miles distant, is the nearest money order & telegraph office


Public Elementary School, erected in 1875, for 68 children; average attendance, 64; the Aughton children now attend this school; Miss Amelia Usherwood, mist.


Darwent Rev. Frederick Charnock Bamford (vicar), Vicarage


Barrie Wm. farmer, Short Acre house

Bissett George, bricklayer

Buttle Robert (exor's of), farmers

Buttle Thomas, farmer, Fogspring

Cook Alice (Miss), grocer

Fratson Albert, joiner

Harrison Charles, blacksmith

Harrison Francis. wheelwright

Maples John, farmer

Nutt Thos , frmr, The Hall & Sth. Ross

Sargent Cath. (Mrs), miller (wind)

Sharp William (Mrs.), farmer

Smith Horace, boot & shoe maker

Tanfield Wm. farmer, Blueslate farm

Tate Joseph. Boot & Shoe PH. & wheelwright

Wake John Robt. farmer, Dale's farm

Watson Chas. frmr, North Ross moor

Watson Robt. farmer, Ellerton North grange

Watson Thomas, farmer, Town end

Watson William, farmer

Watson Wm. Jn. frmr. Sonnybank ho

Wetherell George Henry, farmer & landowner, Priory farm